Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Reimagining Education: Khan Academy

Education has pretty much consumed my life. I have been in school for 19 of my 25 years on this lovely hunk of Earth. I have at the very least another four to go. During the last five years, I've occasionally been on the other side of the equation, teaching and assisting in lab courses. Who knows? Maybe I'll ended up in academia and spend my days warping young minds.

We live in the age of information and technology. It is easier than ever to find a chunk of information via a quick internet search. Educational institutions have been trying to keep up with the ever advancing technologies available today, but I would argue that they should be adapting and leading the pack.

If selected for this research project, I hope to focus on providing fun, interesting, and educational experiences for everyone following along. I will attempt to employ different aspects of technology as often as possible. I've been inspired by different people that have lead they way in this endeavor, and would like to share one of these inspirations today.

Sal Khan and the other amazing folks at Khan Academy are on a mission to change education. Using a vast online database of educational videos, they hope to provide a free world-class education to anyone, anywhere. I've included, below, the TED talk that first introduced me to the Academy. I have since watched several of the provided videos and enjoyed them immensely. The pH/Acid/Base series in the Chemistry section have been profoundly helpful.


Questions of The Day:
Do you think programs such as Khan Academy would work in schools? (Educators, here's looking at you!)
Are there any topics that you could use some extra help in? Try watching a video and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...